Monday, February 18, 2013

180 Degrees Turn

When Chef CJ first started competing on Top Chef (season 3), I really liked him and he was one of the chefs I was rooting for but was eliminated. He was (really) tall, a cancer survivor, handsome (Yummy of the Mood material), his food looked delicious, what wasn't to like? Then Top Chef (current season, Seattle's season 10) invited him back into the competition for a second chance. I guess fame and ego got to his head- although he was still tall, cancer survivor and handsome, his personality was just so different. Arrogant, eager to throw a dish that wasn't even on the bottom (it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst to get to be on the elimination threat) I just found myself being completely turned off by him. Especially when he got a specialty ingredient of spiced dill pickles and instead of thinking like a 'top' chef, he went for the most obviously easy way of a burger. He thought that Head Judge Tom Colicchio would say "Why wouldn't you do a burger" and well he thought wrong. Head Judge Tom was pissed. I don't blame him. A housewife or amateur cook would instantly think a burger. Not a top-notch chef.

No comments: